Friday, February 5, 2010

Gigabit, more or less


I just recently bought a Trendnet 5 port gigabit switch for the house. My goal was to speed up file transfers from my main office computer to the home theatre PC.
The switch itself had good reviews from a couple different websites. It has metal case and seems to be well built. It supposed to be 'green' by using less power to the unused ports. It comes in a 5 and 8 port version. It's unmanaged which isn't a problem.
So far, after a few tests I'm not getting true gigabit speeds from it. I really didn't expect to since there are many factors to take into account such as hard drive speed, size of files and overhead associated with all network traffic. I'll be trying out a utility called iperf which is supposed to give good information regarding network speeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment