Friday, February 5, 2010

Does this exist?

I've been looking all over the internet for something which probably doesn't even exist for my laptop.
I have two hard disk drives for it. One has Windows 7 that I am using as a client connected to a test Windows Server 2008 machine. The other hard drive has Windows XP Pro and it is more or less my daily driver and tester. I've reformatted both of these drives a number of times to try different things, but ideally I would like an easy way to boot from either of these two drives.
Dual boot you say. Well I thought about it at first, and may still go that way, but I do have two separate 320gb drives at my disposal.
How about a dummy hard drive sleeve, the same size as a hard drive with SATA connector with a SATA connector on a short cable. That way I can plug it into my laptop's hard drive slot and easily switch between different bootable hard drives. Oh yes, and a handle of some sort to pull it out of the hard drive bay. It sounds a little makeshift, but this is for my work office and not for portability as I seldom take it on the road.
Right now I pull the hard drive, swap the caddy that covers the end of the drive, so I can grip the drive to remove it, then put in the other drive. If anybody invents this gizmo, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment